Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Spanish Shawl

Believe it or not, I actually have some information on this colorful little thing. This sea slug is found on the west coast of North America from as far north as Canada and as far south as Baja California, Mexico. They're hermaphrodites (having both male and female organs) but rarely self-fertilize. Kind of makes you wonder what the point is of having both organs, doesn't it? I wish all of the pics were as clear as the first, but they're not so my apologies but I wanted to show them anyway.



4 comments:

BNS said...

Gorgeous! I have some photos of some similar critters squirreled away. Thanks for reminding me. *goes to dig them out*

Bobbie

Anonymous said...

Bobbie - Thank you! I'm glad these tapped your memory. I can't wait to see them!

Jayne said...

Not even sure what you'd call that shade of purple! Beautiful. :c)

kjpweb said...

Underwater shots are always so amazing! Especially the colors are extraordinary!
Cheers, Klaus