Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Through The Glass

I thought I'd call this little series of photos Through The Glass. Though I appreciate the chance to see these wild animals and have a wonderful time taking photos of them, there was a part of me that while snapping these photos was saddened to realize they are caged, confined and looking through the glass at a world in which they will never roam free.

As I worked on these photos I realized that with my zoon lens maxed out and the sun not in the perfect position, they weren't as clear as I would have liked. But as I looked at them I thought the pictures as they stand were appropo in creating the reality of looking through the glass at them while they looked back at me. They spend their lives looking through the glass realizing there is an entire world in which they will never roam free. I couldn't help but wonder if that were us on the other side of the glass would we look just the same and these pictures began to really speak to me.













Sorry there are so many but I just couldn't pick a few. I think each one speaks.

9 comments:

kjpweb said...

They are really good - and yes - more worth than thousand words. They speaking pretty clearly!
Cheers, Klaus

Anonymous said...

Thanks Klaus. I'm glad it wasn't just me to see it. :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree - I think the effect works really well and the series definitely gets your point across! Well done!

2sweetnsaxy said...

June - Thank you! I'm glad you agree.

John Theberge said...

You captured some great poses but they do look kind of bored. I guess we would be too if we were trapped behind glass 24/7.

2sweetnsaxy said...

John theberge - Thank you. I guess it didn't help that it was a tad warm that day.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Yes, you are right, look at their faces. The same happened to me with a big, old Orang Utan. Looking, looking and asessing.

Jayne said...

These are so sadly poignant.... Thanks for sharing them.

Anonymous said...

Titania - They are amazing animals to watch.

Jayne - You're welcome and thank you!