Saturday, May 2, 2009

A Few Water Fowl

I took these at the Los Angeles Arboretum. This is the first time I've seen a Mandarin Duck. It was so pretty. Both it and the Wood Duck just waddled over in front of my path and let me take as many photos as I wanted. Wish I could share all of those shots.

WOOD DUCK



MANDARIN DUCK



I've only ever seen a Black Crowned Night Heron once before, at it was also here at the Los Angeles Arboretum near the small lake. I saw the first one on the bent trunk of a tree and was able to get close enough for my zoom to take good shots. Then less than as I left that one, about 20 yards away there was another. I didn't post any of those shots.

BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON




I've only ever seen the black or dark grey cormorans. This is the first time I've seen these light gray ones.

PIED CORMORANT

5 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Aren't these two handsome fellows? Fantastic shots TB. We have that same heron here too but they like to hide away so it is very difficult to get a shot of it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely feather friends they are. Very nice shots..just as though they were posing for you :)
Have a good Sunday!!!

Jayne said...

Oh, I love the ducks!! I've never seen the Mandarin either. So very beautiful.

Mary said...

What awesome ducks! So many colors and patterns. Love that heron. These are excellent captures.

BNS said...

You're becoming quite an accomplished bird photographer. Well done!