Thursday, April 30, 2009

Butterflies Galore

Okay, as promised, here are the shots of the butterflies that I photographed at the Butterfly Pavillion at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles. I know it's a lot of photos but I really did just post one shot of each butterfly....I think. I identified some of them but not all. Feel free to let me know the names of any I couldn't identify. You can click on any of these for a larger image.


There were kids all over the place. I spent half my time trying not to step on any butterflies and the kids. The man at the door very gently explained to the kids how delicate the butterfly wings were and this was why they could not and should not touch them. So why are there always the kids who just have to try to touch them anyway?


Still, the kids were cute and so excited. I was a little excited myself. I'd never seen so many butterflies, most of them sitting there letting me take as many close-ups as I wanted. I was a big kid with a camera.


JULIA & PIPEVINE SWALLOWTAIL


If you have a butterfly garden near you or ever have the opportunity to visit something like this I highly recommend going.

GREAT SOUTHERN WHITE


MONARCH


WHITE PEACOCK & ?


BUCKEYE


CABBAGE WHITE - JULIA?


ZEBRA LONGWING


I'll definitely go back before the exhibit is gone (September). Just what I need... 200-300 more butterfly shots. LOL!

20 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

FANTASTIC!! FANTASTIC!! FANTASTIC!!

Laurieluc said...

Hi, love the butterfly pics and the new look of your blog! You must have had so much fun in the pavilion--I need to get out and do something like that, got an itchy trigger finger lately!

Have a great weekend!
Laurie

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh, my!!

I LOVE your butterfly shots! I have done a lot of these in my back yard!
Would love to go to one of these places!


Junie

Christy said...

Beautiful. I can see myself taking this many shots besides can you really have to many pictures of nature. I don't think so, well at least that is what I tell my husband all the time.

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoyed my visit and a long look at the butterflies you photographed. I didn't see a Zebra Swallowtail. But then it is kind of rare and I only saw this one in all the years I have lived here. I will post it soon, either on My Birds Blog, or Brookville Daily Photo. I apologize for not knowing which at the moment.

I remember your name from a long time ago. Where was it? ModBlog?

By the way, I did enjoy the look at the "Buckeye." I like them because the name is what they call me, being from Ohio and all.

Take another look soon. I was tickled pink when I saw your name.

2sweetnsaxy said...

Joan - Thank you! Coming from the insect whisperer, that means a lot. :-)

Laurieluc - I did have fun. Thanks for the compliment on the look of the blog. I've been fighting to find a new header I like. This one I like. :-)

JunieRose - lucky you to get butterflies in your yard. I need to work on attracting more to mine.

Christy - LOL! Cute. I also agree.

Abe - I'm so flattered that you remembered my screen name. It has been a while but I hope to rectify that and visit more often.
:-)

Unknown said...

JUST GREAT!!!!! You are right a butterfly garden (inside) is something everyone needs to experience!!

Anonymous said...

My goodness, what glorious butterfly photos. It must have been a wonderful experience. I remember being told when I was a kid, about a hundred years ago, not to touch their wings.
Charlotte

2sweetnsaxy said...

Darla - Thank you. I'm so glad you enjoyed them. I'm already looking forward to my next visit.

Char72 - No one told me as a kid. I learned it the hard way. We use to catch those golden skippers and was amazed at the gold dust left on our fingers. However, once we caught them, we learned they couldn't fly. We attributed it to the gold dust now on our fingers, like fairy dust or something, and stopped catching them.

Anonymous said...

I love them all! They're so pretty! You really shot some great photos of them!

Norm said...

WOW! gorgeous series of butterflies, thanks for sharing I love watching them so beautiful...

George said...

I'd be willing to look at more butterflies if you got another 300 or so photos. These are absolutely gorgeous.

Indrani said...

Whoa!
It looks like a butterfly festival here. :)
So many of the partying. All gorgeous!

MYM said...

Wow! These are phenomenal!

Inday said...

The header is quite Springy compliment to your beautiful season. The bonus of the butterflies are just extra-ordinary. With their nomenclatures, I don't think I can remember identifying them one by one. Gone are my photographic memory. lol

Tammie Lee said...

Oh so lovely. It is as though they love you taking their portraits!

Blasé said...

Why do I find myself quickly grabbing at the monitor?

I guess it's a natural reaction??

Mary said...

Wow...glad you showed them all! I've never seen so many beautiful and varied butterflies and you have such excellent shots of all of them. They never spread their wings nicely for me....or maybe my timing is awful :-)

Ebie said...

I am definitely going there! No need to travel north just to see these pretties. Oh, if I may add,(blush*) at my daughter's wedding last year held in the Philippines, instead of the traditional doves, she had 150 butterflies. It was a pretty site.

Maria Berg said...

Good!
/MB