Friday, April 10, 2009

Moscovy Duck

While up at the lake with my camera I spotted this odd looking duck or goose. It had black and white spots and my first thought was it was cross-breed. I took the first couple of shots and I got close enough while it was preening on the water's edge. I moved to get on the other side of it but as I took a few steps noticed another one sitting on the short wall (the last two shots). It was then I realized this duck's feathering was no fluke and I couldn't wait to get home to look it up to see what this was. It took me a moment but I learned it's called a moscovy duck, the first I've seen.



From the descriptions given I believe the first shots are of the male and the one on the wall is a female since it is smaller. Pretty cool, huh?


12 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Cute!! It is always exciting to find something new. I love the bump on the nose. :)

rosadimaggio63 said...

Hi,
animal very sweet.
Happy Easter !

VALKYRIEN said...

A funny looking duck - never seen it before! And great pics as always!

Judy said...

What a funny looking duck! I would have thought it was a crossbreed, too! Thanks for expanding my world that little bit more!
And have a safe and Happy Easter!

Will said...

Nice photos! Interesting series with the ducks.

Mary said...

What great photos of these funny looking ducks! I love the chest feathers in that last shot. The red around the eyes is intersting.

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet & fitting header photo - Happy Happy Easter!

Dee & Dylan said...

What a strange looking Duck!, but great photography. all the best Dylan (:-)

Jayne said...

They are rather odd looking, aren't they? I remember the first time I saw one, I thought I was really seeing something out of the ordinary...lol!

Unknown said...

Fantastic series, I m seeing this duck online for the first time. Thanks for sharing.

Shelley said...

beautiful and such an interesting duck!!!

BNS said...

Ooh, pretty cool indeed! Great find. I'm not familiar with this species either, so thanks for the introduction.