Thursday, January 22, 2009

More from the Arboretum

Just a few more shots that I took at the Los Angeles Arboretum. The arboretum has a pretty decent little hill on the property. They have a watefall where you can take the steps up, walk around the top of the waterfall and it leads to another pond where during the right season it's full of dragon flies and butterflies. Beyond this area there is an area I love. It's the photo below.


To me this area is beautiful and I don't know that this photo really captures it. The beautiful green of the grass, the blue sky peeking through the trees, the patchwork of light on the grass... It's one of those areas you just want to spread out a blanket and lie down with your head in the lap of a loved one listening to the birds and waterfall in the distance.


I've only started revisiting the Arboretum last year. This is the first time I've seen the wood duck there. I wish I had captured the colors better but this was in a shaded area with the light reflecting off the water.



This little guy below played with me for a good little while. It flittered around and landed near me but when I moved slightly it would flitter off but it would flitter all around me coming so close I thought it was trying to land on me then it would return to this wood railing near the water. That happened a few times before another butterfly caught it's interest and they flittered off together.

14 comments:

Walker said...

Stunning pictures, beautiful.

Anonymous said...

These are just lovely, and the duck couldn't be more beautiful. I also would like to spread out a blanket and a picnic at the top scene. Thanks for posting.

Rosemarie said...

I was looking at that duck thinking - "wow, it almost doesn't look real" and then I read all your text! I need to pay attention more.

We have an arboretum a few miles from us - Andy likes to take the girls there in nicer weather. It's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Especially like the duckies!

Jan said...

I love the first and second photos, they're all great, of course.

penny said...

You always have the most amazing photos! I enjoy visiting your blog:D

Guy D said...

Beautiful shots as always, visiting your blog always brightens my day.

Cheers!
Regina In Pictures

Rosemarie said...

OMgosh, I'm such a dork. Haha! In my defense, I am an "inside girl"!

Barbara said...

Must be an awesome & peaceful place. You took some fantasic shots. Have a great weekend.
Smiles B

Gaelyn said...

What a beautiful place for a blanket to dream on.

The Birdlady said...

It's no wonder you love to go there.

Mary said...

Lovely!

Eve said...

All of these are so beautiful, but I especially love the butterflys - so fragile and perfect!

BNS said...

That wood duck is really stunning. You just can't beat Mother Nature for exquisite designs and color combinations.

Bobbie