Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bolsa Chica Wetlands #2

Continuing from the post below, when I reached the top of the incline the view of the wetlands lay before my eyes.




Though not as beautiful as a botanical garden, it was a treasure trove of birds. Below is just one of the nests that were in the bare trees.


These herons were all over the place, flying around and landing near the nests and in the palm trees (pictured in one of the posts below).







Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to charge my batteries the night before and my batteries ran low so this is as far as I got. On my next trip I'll be prepared and I'll walk further into the wetlands to see what else is there to see. I can't wait.

Another photographer pointed this little cutie out to me (below), but I forgot what he told me it was and I haven't looked it up yet.

7 comments:

penny said...

What a fantastic journey through the wetlands, I'm jealous. Your photos are so wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jan said...

These are great. Don't you just hate the "dead battery" thing. I changed mine as soon as I read your post. We're thinking of the zoo this weekend. You have a great one.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh my....this looks like a FABULOUS place. I would be in Heaven with all of the birds around.

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing a Forsters Tern is what you have in the last photo. This was my favoite place for terns. Back when I was birding there, there wasn't a heron rookery. I'm glad to see this change. Brings back a lot of memories.

Mary said...

Beautiful birds! Such a nice variety and your weather looks so nice. I can't wait until it looks like that around here.

Judy said...

All the egrets in that one shot just made me laugh! No idea why!